Your orthotist is an important partner who is going to be a big part of your life for a while. Finding someone who is going to listen to you and work with you to create solutions to the challenges you will encounter is important. Your orthotist will work closely with you while you are wearing a brace to ensure that the brace is doing its job and that it is as comfortable as possible for you.
The Hanger Clinic BEME program includes an informational brochure that doctors often give to patients when they prescribe their brace and you can download it within one of the two links below:
English Version | Spanish Version
To prepare for your first visit to the orthotist you may want to consider some of the following questions:
- How will I be measured for my brace?
- How long will it take to get my brace after I am measured?
- How long will I have to wear it each day?
- What activities can I still do/not do?
- Do I wear my brace during these activities?
- What clothes should I wear over and under my brace?
- What do I need to bring when I come for my fitting?
- How do I contact you if I have any questions?